How to get involved in hot air ballooning in the UK:
- Join the BBAC and a local club - BBAC membership now starts from only £40 per year.
Read Aerostat, the bi-monthly magazine of the BBAC - Check out a sample here
- A recent issue comes in the membership pack
- Subscription is included in the membership fee
Contact your local BBAC region to find any pilots looking for crew
Read books about ballooning
Attend balloon meets (see the Aerostat diary, Events & Balloon Spotting)
- Become a qualified balloon crew member
- Train for a Private Pilot's Licence for balloons - PPL(B)
- Buy a hot air balloon:
- Second hand
- New or second hand from a manufacturer
- Via adverts in Aerostat
- Enter balloon competitions by joining the Competitions Club
Why not join now??
Membership is open to anyone interested in lighter than air flight. Membership Benefits include:
Six copies of aerostat a year giving details of where to find local contacts and balloon meets.
Free copy of the Members Handbook with information and advice on all areas of the sport.
"Pilots Circular" - a free monthly email newsletter containing information specific to pilots and balloon owners - technical developments, airspace changes.
Reduced Prices on OS maps overprinted with airspace and balloon specific information.
Access to the BBAC Pilot Achievement Scheme.
Access to the BBAC Crew Training Programme.
Advice and support on dealing with all regulatory bodies.
Entitlement to use the BBAC CAA Permissions & Exemptions relating to congested areas & competition markers